Monday, January 21, 2008

Brrr Baby, It's Cold Out There . . .

Today the goddess speaks about herself:

It is not warm outside. The sky is blue. The sun is shining. It is damn cold. It's so cold the outdoor animals want in. Barn kitty mewled at the front door until I realized that he wanted to be let in. I couldn't figure out why he was making all of that noise so close to the house. Even our dog, who prefers being outside above all else, was reluctant to go out for a quick potty sojourn. I'm sure that if the goats were free to leave the barnyard, they would be knocking at the front door, bleating to be led to the rug in front of the fire.

I've been cozily, wrapped up in a fluffy blanket, reading by the fire all day. My book finished, I carefully maneuvered my way out from underneath a blanket, a cat, and two dogs (praise the saints, no goats) to refill my cocoa cup and find a new book. All hell broke lose as everyone realized that their lazy goddess, was actually, and finally, available to put food in food dishes. Oh, the barking, and the meowing. What a cacophony. It was only two hours later than usual. How the day goes by when it is cold, and there is nothing to be done but read.

I honestly don't think that I should have to go to work when it is this cold. I could get frostbitten walking to the car. That would not do. I Cold Day is most certainly called for. I doubt the phone tree will be activated though. People, in power, can be such cretins. The pioneers knew to hunker down in the winter; to keep the wood on the fire, and conserve energy. Hmmm. . . 'conserve energy'. That is what I have been doing all day. I was not lazy at all. I was being as a pioneer.

I've always known that had I been a pioneer, I would have died on the trail; probably very early on in the trip. My husband would have had to take on a child-wife to raise the children that my early demise left behind. Of course, had there been a pregnancy, I would have died in childbirth. There might have been one child, but no more. No, not even that. I would have died of dehydration during my pregnancy. Had it not been for demoral and IV fluids, I would have died in the 20th century. The century in which I actually did incubate, and deliver two children. So, I am positive I wouldn't have made it as a pioneer. If I ever go back in time, I will not leave the east to follow an adventuring husband. He will have to understand that I already know the ordeal would kill me. In fact, I wouldn't survive my teen years. I would throw myself off of a cliff during a P.M.S. episode. No need to wonder if I would have made it as a pioneer then.

I do like the idea of conserving energy, in winter, anyway. Why must we race about, acting as if these arctic days are no different than any other cold day? Why can't the world stop for a week, or two? We could all use the time to hunker down, and enjoy a good book, by a crackling fire. The animals seem to have the right idea. It was probably a cat who wrote, "It was not a night for either man, or beast".

May peace, a warm fire, and a cat on your lap be yours from: The Goddess of Everything

No comments: