Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Little Amped Up

Today the goddess speaks about herself:
Aaahhhhhh!!!! Is this day over yet?!
I have been busting it out all day. This morning I conducted a conference call while applying my eyeliner, attended several meetings in person, and over the phone. Plus, many many e-mails to keep everyone in the loop. This is so not me. I am not this person.
I like to spend my days with small children, and my nights with my honey or the girls or both.
I like the hardest part of my day to be when the students are hooligans in their pigtails and shiny, innocent face disguises.
KIDS! Kids are adorable.
Adults? Not so much. (Yes, a phrase coined by Jon Stewart)
Yesterday we were talking about Presidents' Day. Several of the kids wanted to know why we didn't go to school, and what they were expected to do that day to 'honor' the presidents.
I told them they could write a letter to the president. (Now I live in a largely conservative town,
some of these kids' parents don't think the abolition of slavery was necessarily a good thing).
I try not to bring up the current occupant of the White House. It is just all too depressing for a Progressive, Bleeding Heart like me to hear the dark-side opinions of adults sweetly intoned out of the mouths of babes.
Today was a little different. It must be a sign of the times (maybe those poll numbers are true) because so many of them raised their fists to say the prez was a bad guy.
So, when I suggested they write a letter they said, "He wouldn't listen to us; He does whatever he wants; He doesn't care about anybody". Wow.
Well, I assured them, regardless, they still have a voice. they can write, with respect, what they think the president should do, in their opinion. At the very least, they'll get a form letter back, on White House stationary. If they are very lucky they will get a glossy photo to throw their spit wads at, or perhaps store their gum upon. I know one of those things came in real handy for me in the early eighties. Think poor, unwed mother, college student trying to get an education, and find a sliding scale clinic while Reagan was president.
Think again sister!
Those were dark days.
Thank goodness I had that glossy photo, of the guy with the big hairdo and movie star smile, on which to take out my frustrations.
May peace and a clear conscience be yours from: The Goddess of Everything

No comments: